My horrific experiences in the stock market could fill up a whole novel, so I won't go too far into it. Let's just say I've been a very Dumb Consumer in choosing stocks.
But I will say that this is a good time of year to step back and look at your entire financial situation:
- Look at your income and your expenditures ... do you feel on track for the coming year?
- How's your retirement withholding? Are you doing the Max that the current year will allow? If not, try to increase it
- Check your stocks and funds. Any big upturns or horrific downfalls? Take this time to adjust
- Check your credit reports; take advantage of the once-a-year free report
- Make sure you are doing all you can to prevent Identify Theft